Monday, September 6, 2010

Kayla Richardson...A Southern CA girl

My name's Kayla Richardson and I was born in Palm desert, CA. With the exception of my college years, I lived there my whole life and in the same house--which I think most would agree is quite rare. I never moved once until I came out to San Marcos for school. I went to James Monroe Elementary school k-5th grade, La Qunita Middle School for 6th grade, John Glen Middle school for 7th and 8th grade, and then finally spent all four of my high years at La Quinta High School. I moved out to San Marcos for college and this is now my fourth year living here. I love san Diego a lot and always have, since this was the destination for many of my family vacations at our beach house in Oceanside :)


To be perfectly honest I do not have a lot of experience with technology at all. And to be more honest I have never been a huge fan. All my friends tell me I'm the only person they know who doesn't have a facebook; so I figure since it's so unique why change it now. I don't have an ipod or any fun gadgets but I do, however, have a macbook. I just got it in June after one of my many windows ran systems crashed. My parents decided they only wanted to buy me ONE more computer before I graduated haha and so an apple was the route we took. And so far it's amazing! I'm actually really excited about this class because it's going to teach me a lot of things I didn't know I could do with my macbook, which is very exciting!!


What strikes me most about the College of Education mission statement is it's enthusiasm about diversity. I love the recognition of how each student is different in their own right and the idea of really celebrating their differences. I have taken a lot of classes on campus about cultural diversity and the importance of supporting each student's culture and making them feel comfortable talking about it in the classroom. With a depth of study in linguistics, I am extremely passionate about different languages and the ability of young children to be bilingual or even multilingual. I feel this idea coincides with the mission statement and that makes me even more excited to become a teacher and finally get into the classroom!

4 comments:

  1. Hey Kayla, I've also had many problems with my pc, so I should probably do the same as you and buy myself a mac. I have met many people lately whom have done that transition and haven't complained. I also agree with your view of the COE Mission STatement. I believe it's a great how CSUSM teaches the values of diversity in our society.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I AMMMM SOOOo happy you are in this class and that we can walk to our cars together at night!!! I think this will be the best EDUC class! The other ones are nowhere near as fun as this! hahahah see you tomorrow chica<3

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello. You are not alone in the technology department. My friends all give me a hard time because I don't usually own, or care about the newest trends in technology. I finally gave in and traded in my cheap flip phone for a smart phone. It took me quite a while to figure everything out. My friends say I finally have a big kid phone. On a different note, I am also studying linguistics, so it's nice to hear from someone in the same field :)
    Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is not rare that you lived in the same house all your life until college ..Well at least not to me because I am in the same situation… except I still continue to live there because it’s pretty close to school and it saves me some money otherwise I would of moved out already.. I also do not have a face book and my friends tell me the same thing …I guess we are unique:)

    ReplyDelete