Friday, September 17, 2010

Journal #2 "Join The Flock"-NETS 5


BIBLIOGRAPHIC CITATION:
Ferguson, Hadley. (2010, June/July). Join the flock. Learning and Leading with Technology, 37(8), Retrieved from http://www.learningandleading-digital.com/learning_leading/20100607#pg14


Summary
"Join The Flock" was an article written by Hadley Ferguson about her experiences of joining twitter. She explains how at first she was apprehensive and didn't quite understand how to use the program but once she got started, she simply could not stop.  Twitter has opened a whole new outlet for teachers by being able to share information with other teachers across the country--whom they have never met! Teachers post about anything from lesson plans to different communities who are holding meetings. It's a good way to stay current with things and share different pieces of information with the teacher community. The second article by Shannon McClinktock Miller was about how you can enhance your twitter experience. She talks about utilizing everything twitter has to offer in order to better your teaching style and just learn. Both articles were primarily about using twitter as a form of education for teachers to incorporate some of what they learn into their classroom.

Q#1- How can I incorporate twitter with my future students?
 At first I thought this idea was a bit of a stretch but with all the technology advances we have had I think this is completely realistic. I could teach my students how to set up twitter accounts and create a PLN for our classroom. Students could use twitter as a form of instant communication. For example, perhaps they have a homework question or were unclear on the assignment, they could instantly tweet me. Or, better yet, their fellow classmates. Between all the the students and myself it could be like a constant chat room with quick feedback. Overall, it would create a very fun learning environment and I think the students would take to it very well.

Q#2-  What could be some drawbacks from introducing twitter in the classroom with my future students?
Every new vision usually comes with consequences. The biggest drawback I could think of would be children you don't have internet access at home. Since the means for twitter is to communicate about academics I could also have children exchange phone numbers on the first day and emphasis that there are two ways to get in touch with their peers and myself, and that would be through telephone or the internet. Each student is bound to have one of the two. The idea is for not a single student to feel ostracize in anyway from the class. I would also stress how both are equally useful.

No comments:

Post a Comment